The kitchen is the hub and the heart of the home, where families come together daily, and where entertaining inevitably takes place. It’s no wonder that kitchen remodels are one of the the most sought after home improvements by today’s homeowners. A well planned kitchen can make meals and clean up easier, keep accidents at bay, and make entertaining a joyous experience. We can help you plan a kitchen renovation that you and your family will love to live in for years to come.
THE HEART OF THE HOME
WHY WORK WITH AN INDEPENDENT DESIGN PROFESSIONAL?
There are a number of businesses types that will offer to help you with your kitchen design, such as cabinetry manufacturers and contractors.
So why work with us?
First, let’s be clear – there is no such thing as “free design” and any company that offers this is wrapping the cost of the design into the goods and services that they are already selling you. In such cases the design is secondary to their main business, and in turn, the design aspect of the project tends to be limited or sub-par.
Cabinet manufacturers offer design services that typically only cover the design of the cabinetry and not the other aspects of a space, working only inside existing kitchen walls without addressing the flow between different spaces within the home. Furthermore, room room finishes, appliances, lighting and more are not included in their design services. Therefore, if you plan to extend or reconfigure the area in and around your kitchen, and you want to make sure that every aspect of the fixtures and finishing is taken into account, then working with an independent design professional will ensure a more holistic approach to your project is undertaken.
Similarly, trusting the design of your kitchen to a contractor is risky, because although some contractors have an eye for design, it is not their area of expertise n’or is it an area that they want to invest significant time in. Builders require plans to construct a building, so why should it be any different for a complicated interior renovation such as a kitchen? We greatly value the input of contractors and tradespeople, and believe they have much to contribute to the overall success of a renovation project, and at the same time believe that it is better to leave the detailed design planning to a design professional who has specialized training and flair for their craft.
Interiors designers are trained to think very deeply about how a space is used so that it can be set up in a way that is conducive to the activities the space is to be used for. Furthermore, we are continuously learning about the wide array of materials and products on the market is part of our ongoing professional development, which enables us to come up with creative ways to achieve a specific look in a way that is considerate of project needs, budget and timeline. So, if you are looking for a professional who can address the design of your space a whole, who is ahead of trends, can think outside of the box and explore different possibilities for your project, then working with an independent design professional will help ensure that your kitchen renovation is an investment that you will enjoy for many years to come.
Keep reading to find out more about our kitchen design process and service packages!
It’s not easy working with couples. Perhaps even more so when that couple has been married for 25 years and each has definitive tastes and aesthetic likes and dislikes. And wouldn’t you know it, those likes and dislikes are not always perfectly aligned. Heidi (Urbanomic Interiors) was the perfect choice for the redesign of our first floor; skilled designer, accomplice, teacher, mediator and task master all rolled into one. We are looking forward to working again with Heidi when we redesign the second floor.
Elise R. + Michel H. | Ottawa, ON
Mid-Century Inspired Kitchen
KITCHEN DESIGN SERVICE PACKAGES
We have packaged our design services so they are easy to understand and purchase. We love to provide a complete design-build service, however, we realize that not everyone needs that from us, so we have broken down the design phase into packages which can be purchased sequentially for a complete kitchen design, or you can engage us for any of the design steps individually after the initial consultation. If you are looking to take care of the procurement and project management yourself, then these packages together can help you get the design information down on paper for easier decision making, pricing and ordering. Once the major aspects of the design are complete, if you decide you would like us to take care of making it all happen for you, then we will happily bring our trusted trades and vendors on board to help us prepare a detailed Pricing Proposal to complete the project, for an additional fee.
Step 1 – Introductory Consultation
Whether you plan to take care of some leg work yourself, or you want to hand over the entire project to us, the first step in our kitchen renovation design process is an initial consultation which is a working session for up to 2 minutes where we will get more clarity on:
- Your design challenges.
- Your wish list.
- Your design style + ideas.
- Your timeline.
- Who is going to do the work.
- A preliminary exploration of potential layouts.
- A Rough Order of Magnitude Budget (accuracy is +/-50%).
- The best next steps for your particular situation.
If you plan to handle the bulk of the design, pricing and procurement work yourself, and simply need our input from time to time, you can schedule one of these consultations any time you need input.
FEE -$377 + HST
Step 2 – Kitchen Layout Package
This package will allow us to explore the possibilities for your kitchen layout. We will start with some sketches to illustrate our ideas, eventually turning them into a set of scaled design drawings based on your input.
Kitchen Layout Package to include:
- Further assessment of your needs and preferences.
- Site measure up.
- As-Built Drawings.
- Up to 2 preliminary floor plan options.
- Drafted Design Plans (floor plans, wall elevations, reflected ceiling plan) showing:
- wall locations
- new cabinetry locations + dimensions
- general plumbing locations
- general appliance locations
- general lighting locations
- general power outlet + switching locations
- demolition (if needed, may require engineer review)
- 3D Model with preliminary finishes.
- 2 design review meetings + 2 rounds of design revisions.
- Preliminary Estimate spreadsheet illustrating costs of at least 3 levels of quality/finesse to direct decisions (accuracy is -15% to +50%).
- Review of completed design information package.
STARTING AT $2777 + HST
Step 3 – Kitchen Details Package
Once we have completed a Kitchen Layout design, we can move on to finesse further design details with the Kitchen Details Package which includes:
- Further assessment of your needs and preferences.
- Assistance with specific selections for appliances and fixtures.
- Specific selections for all finish materials.
- 2 rounds of review and revisions
- Detailed Cabinetry + Counter Designs outlining:
- cabinet dimensions.
- door style + finishes.
- all hardware specifications
- in-cabinet lighting.
- counter top design drawings + material specifications.
- special cabinetry and coutner top details as required (ex. waterfall detail)
- Room Design Details including:
- room dimensions
- cabinetry layout
- appliance locations
- Plumbing Locations + fixture specifications.
- Backs plash install locations + material specifications.
- Power outlet locations (plan + elevation)
- Lighting Plan + fixture specifications.
- Switching Plan
- Room finish specifications, install details + locations
- Flooring Materials Plan (basic)+ material specifications.
- Details for design features.
- Updated 3D model (not photo realistic)
- A digital Style Board showing materials and fixtures together.
- Budget Estimate based on specifications (accuracy -10% to +25%)
- Review of final information.
STARTING AT $2777 + HST
Design Package Add-Ons
These luxury design elements add finesse to a space and we will be happy to add them to your project at your request.
- Additional revisions.
- Custom tile or finish patterns.
- Custom architectural details (ex. tray ceiling, false beams)
- Custom furniture designs (ex. built-in seating)
- Loose furniture + decor selections (stools, chairs, tables, window coverings).
PRICED UPON REQUEST
Heidi helped transform our 16 year old builders’ kitchen into a space that we want to spend all our time in. She is creative, resourceful, and flexible, but what sets her apart is her attention to detail. She works tirelessly to get the little things right – something that brings her projects to the next level. We are very happy with our result and have enjoyed many celebrations in our new space, including a 50th birthday party where most of our 40 guests ended up – you guessed it – in the kitchen!
Connie Copeland | Orleans, ON
Transitional 'Moonstone' Kitchen
KITCHEN DESIGN INSPIRATION
Here are some kitchen ideas that we have been collecting, and are excited to reference in our upcoming projects!